Useful tips to help you fundraise in the best possible way
Plan what you are going to do
- Choose a date and allow time to organise your activity. Weekends are usually best, but Fridays are good if you’re fundraising at work.
- Think about the kind of space and facilities you’ll need to suit the number of people. Book your venue in plenty of time and mention that your event is for charity. Often you’ll be able to pay less or get it for free.
- Create a budget and stick to it! List all expenses and think about how much you need to charge for tickets to reach your target. Ask local businesses if they would like to support you.
- Set a fundraising target. It’s a great way to motivate people to give generously. Decide on the amount after taking off expenses.
- Promote what you have planned by word of mouth, email, social networks and local press.
Boost your fundraising
- Set up an online fundraising page. It’s the easiest way for people to support you. Adding a video, photos or a powerful message will encourage people to support you. Start fundraising online.
- Ask your sponsors to tick the Gift Aid box on your sponsor from. It allows us to claim at least 25p from the government for every £1 donated.
- Ask your employer to match the amount you raise. Lots of companies take part in matched giving and it could double the money you raise.
- Don’t feel guilty about asking people to support you. Many people have been affected by sepsis in some way and you’ll be giving them a chance to help. Your passion will be a reminder of what a brilliant cause The UK Sepsis Trust is.
- Get inspired with some of our fundraising ideas. Hyperlink to idea section
Promote your fundraising
When telling people about your event remember to include the link to your online fundraising page. Explain how they can help and keep them updated on your fundraising progress.
- Word of mouth is one of the most effective kinds of promotion, so tell everyone in your neighbourhood, social club, gym or office what you’re doing and why. Put notices in your staff or social group newsletter and use the UK Sepsis Trust branded poster in your fundraising pack to promote your event on community news boards and anywhere else you can think of.
- Email your friends and colleagues asking for support. Follow up with a phone call or in person and keep them updated on your progress.
- Use social networks, such as Facebook and Twitter, to tell people about your event and encourage them to raise money for our life-saving work. Post a link on your profile and get the word out to your friends and people they know.
- Get noticed in local media. Contacting your local media is a great way to spread the word and attract more support.Read our guide to working with local media (PDF, 96KB) to get started. Use our handy press release templates, ready for you to customise and send to your local paper, radio or TV station.
Download all our forms by signing up below: