The UK Sepsis Trust is here to support you – we have in collaboration with carefully chosen companies compiled a list that we feel may help you decide on specific support or advice you may need at this difficult time.


In some cases, you might consider taking legal action against the NHS or a member of staff, and claiming compensation. Taking legal action against an NHS body or any local authority can be long, costly and complex and a traumatic experience. It’s therefore best to have a solicitor.

If you’ve been harmed as a result of negligence by an NHS organisation or healthcare professional, you may be able to claim compensation. If you decide to pursue a claim, seek legal advice.

The charity Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA)  provides free specialist advice on legal action, inquests and other procedures when harm may have been caused. Specially trained advisers will help you consider the options available to you after suffering a medical accident. If you wish, they can put you in contact with an accredited specialist solicitor.

AvMA also offers support to help patients come to terms with the effects of a medical accident, whether or not clinical negligence is involved.

The Citizens Advice Bureau offers comprehensive guidance on taking legal action, how to find a solicitor, and the costs involved.

The NHS Litigation Authority (NHSLA) acts on behalf of NHS organisations when negligence claims are made against them. It can’t offer advice to individual patients, but the NHSLA website guides you through the practicalities of negligence claims.

The NHSLA participates in mediation and alternative dispute resolution.


Apply for a judicial review

A judicial review is a procedure that enables you to challenge a decision of an NHS body or the secretary of state for health on the basis that it’s unlawful.

A decision might be unlawful if:

  1. the decision-maker does not have power to make the decision, or is using their power improperly
  2. the decision is irrational
  3. the procedure followed by the decision-maker was unfair or biased the decision was in breach of the Human Rights Act
  4. the decision breaches European Community (EC) law
  5. More information is available from the Public Law Project.
  6. Judicial review is not a form of appeal. The judge will look at how decisions are made, rather than judging the decision itself.
  7. To be entitled to make a claim for judicial review, you must have a direct, personal interest in the action or decision being challenged. Further guidance on applying for judicial review can be found on the Justice website.

Please contact the UK Sepsis Trust if you require further information: or call 0800 389 6255


Dedicated Specialists

We have a list of dedicated specialist who can advise you according to your particular needs.