This is one of the last pictures I have of Benjamin. On the 1st of December he started vomiting and had a high temperature as it was Christmas I wasn’t too concerned as I thought he had just picked up a bug. He still wasn’t better on Sunday so I decided on Monday I would make a doctors appointment. The doctors appointment was at 10:10 in the morning so just changed his pjs and put a new nappy on but I’d realised he hadn’t had a wee in a while.I mentioned everything to my gp who referred us to the children’s outpatient ward for a blood test as he was concerned about Benjamin’s colour and heart rate.
We went into hospital and Benjamin had been vomiting again so they prescribed him a sugar supplement drink a chocolate bar and a yoghurt (as his bm was 2.4) they couldn’t cannulate him at first and then when they checked his heart they thought they could hear a murmur. They rang to see if the echo specialist was around but it was her day off at which point they were going to transfer him to Leeds. They promised us an ECG as well which never happened. We ended up staying in York under observation and at 6pm decided to move him to the main children’s ward in York. They were about to discharge him as there were no visible signs of anything and he was “stable”. At 6:20 he went floppy at which point the doctors moved him to a side room and ordered a sonogram of his abdomen. They thought he had cancer because they couldn’t feel his liver. At 8pm Benjamin was given antibiotics and he started screaming. He hadn’t made a noise all day. He was screaming so bad but the Drs said it was a good sign. When he had his sonogram at 9 there were “no visible signs” of anything. After the team left his sats went down to 77% at which point I alerted the nurses and they thought the machine was broken.
They moved him into another room closer to the nurses station only for me to realise his legs were mottled. At that point his sats continued to drop and the crash call was made. He was put on high oxygen and rushed to theatre. He crashed on the table twice and still the DRs didn’t know what to do. They pumped him full of morphine and tried to ventilate him. They managed to get a tube down but he crashed again. This was his final breath. He died at 1:30am on the 4th December aged 14months. It took them until the end of February to discover he had had septicaemia which had caused infective aortic endocarditis. To this day they cannot tell us how long he had had it for or where it had come from as he hadn’t had any abrasions or surgery or blood tests before. The only thing we as parents can link in is that he had an infection in his mouth which a different gp had not looked at and told me to use calpol yet my mum caught the infection off Benjamin and had antibiotics for it.
We are all heart broken to have lost our son at such a young age and such a traumatic way. No parents should ever have to tell someone to stop trying to save your child’s life but we knew he had gone. He had done nothing wrong to anyone and he isn’t here with us. This needs to stop and it needs to be publicly known so people can be aware and look out for signs. This pain will never go away but if another family can have their child because it was spotted quicker than this campaign has worked.