Business student Cerri’s death was a complete shock for her family. She’d been perfectly healthy before falling ill after routine treatment on a painful boil.
Cerri was only 20 when she died from sepsis just before Christmas 2010.
Cerri’s sepsis arose from a simple boil, or abscess. She went to hospital, feeling well, and had it lanced and drained as a day case. Several days later, she went clubbing with her brother, Carl, and friends in Manchester, but began to complain that she felt unwell. “I thought that she’d either overdone it while out or was coming down with a nasty cold or flu,” Carl remembers.
“It never crossed my mind for a second that it could be an infection linked to the boil.”
Instead of making plans for her 21st birthday party, as they had expected to, her family had to organize her funeral. A happy, healthy, fun-loving young lady with aspirations of higher education and a future career, Cerri had touched the lives of all around her.