Legal advice

Sepsis can often occur very rapidly so it is often difficult to understand the information you have been given. If you or your relative has become critically ill very quickly, you may feel like you haven’t been given enough information. Often people haven’t understood what’s happening or why it has happened. If this is the case for you, there are a number of options to consider.

Informal Complaint

In the first instance, you may want to raise your concerns with the medical staff informally and give them the opportunity to address your concerns. If you arrange to meet them, make sure you write all your questions down beforehand. Once you have had this meeting, you may feel fully satisfied with the care you or your relative has received or you may want to take your concerns further.

You are under no obligation to make a complaint informally before you make a formal complaint. However, if you believe something has gone wrong with the healthcare provided to you or a loved one, it is almost always best to discuss your concerns with the medical staff as soon as possible, especially if your main concern is to have something urgently put right.

Getting help with your complaint

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) offer confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters. Every hospital will have a PALS officer you can talk to. You can contact them by phoning the hospital or through NHS Choices.

They provide a point of contact for patients, their families and their carers. PALS provides help in many ways – including  information about the NHS complaints procedure, how to get independent help if you want to make a complaint, and support groups outside the NHS. PALS also helps to improve the NHS by listening to your concerns and suggestions

Legal advice

If you’re considering taking legal action, we have compiled a list of carefully selected companies which may help you get the specific support or advice you need at this difficult time.


Contact: Rankeshwar Batta,


Contact: Lynda Reynolds,
Phone: 08082501494


Contact: Sarah Coles (Partner) or Sarah Sharples (Associate)
Phone: 08000 23 22 33


Contact: Paul Sankey ; Caroline Frean,
Phone: 0800 044 8488


Contact: Manpreet Singh,
Matthew Smith,
Phone: 0800 884 0106

The Clinical Negligence Claim Process
When is a Medical Mistake Negligent?
What Harm Has Negligence Caused?